Club review – Salsa Fridays at Cocopalm Restaurant in Pomona
Salsa class: 8:30 p.m. with Mario Gonzalez
Social dancing: 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
Live music by: Chino Espinoza y los Dueños del Son
Recorded music by: SuperDJRobby
Location: Cocopalm Restaurant – 1600 Fairplex Drive in Pomona CA
Parking: valet only / $5
Drinks: average $8 / Special appetizer menu
My prism: These are photos of my visit on 4.17.15. Cocopalm is one of the closest clubs to my house, which is always convenient. And I just ::heart:: Chino Espinoza y los Dueños (y sus Dueñas). I explain this so that you take the following opinions with a grain of salt. Obviously your experience has the potential to be different than mine.
What you can expect:
• A large tile floor that all shoes seem to stick to. By this I mean that you will probably dance the same dance shoes or not.
• The band will play mostly Salsa, but will do merengue, bachata, or cumbia, especially if you request it.
• The DJ will play all of the above plus Top 40 and Cuban Salsa.
• Mostly clean bathrooms.
• Admission ticket must be purchased at the bar lounge (faces you as you enter the venue, before reaching the dance club.)
• This is a popular place for birthday parties, so you will see large groups taking big chunks of dance floor and tables.
• Tables and chairs are arranged around the dance floor, first come first served. Your chances are best when you arrive early.
• Table service gets slower as the place gets crowded, but there is a bar inside the club you can order from, and you may also walk out of the club to the bar lounge and purchase drinks there.
• I get a few dances when I go, although not every time. You can ensure your enjoyment by going with a dancer partner or in a group. However, if you happen to go alone, stay in the back of the dance floor, near the entrance. That’s where the “solo” guys hang out.
• One time I arrived after midnight and there was no longer a guy taking tickets at the door. Just saying.
VidaSalsera.com gives this Friday Salsa night an… A